Linkedin - What is it?
You probably already know how social networks operate. You create a profile, connect with others, share content, and interact online with them.
In this most basic way, LinkedIn is very similar to Facebook, Twitter, etc.
LinkedIn is so much more than a mere social network. It’s helpful to think of it as a platform to not only network with others and access content, but it can serve as the central hub of your professional career.
So Let’s go over what LinkedIn is….
What You Need to Get Started
Choosing a Profile Pic
You might not like having a profile picture on social media, but to truly get the most out of LinkedIn it’s important to get past your reservations and show everyone that you’re a real person.
The basic guidelines are:
- Use a professional headshot-style and not a selfie or candid photo
- Ideal size is 400 x 400
- Color not BW
- No larger than 8MB
- Recent enough that it looks like you (if you have a mohawk or eye patch now, your picture should too)
Some additional things to consider:
- Wear professional dress (what you normally wear at work)
- Have someone else take the picture
- Avoid distracting backgrounds
- Your face should take up 60% of the picture
- Keep others out of the picture – make sure it’s just you
- Use natural lighting
- You can be serious in your expression, but smiling people are considered more approachable.
Get the App!
Having the LinkedIn app on your phone allows you to not only stay on top of your activity and respond rapidly to your messages, it’s a great way to create posts and interact with connections.
Visit the iOS or Android app store and get the official download.